Staffing Models Scenario Paper Assignment- NUR 514 Essay
Areas of Waste
The two areas of waste identified include admission, discharge and transfer activity, and the shift report. In most cases, the patients delayed receiving treatment or even go home after treatment due to time wastage at the admission and discharge desks. For example, patients would take too long before being given files and the hospital beds. By taking too long to get the file and an admission number, it meant that their treatment was also delayed. Furthermore, there was a lot of dissatisfaction as a result of delayed discharge processing. The time wasted at the discharge and admission stage is estimated at 2 hours per patient. Secondly, processing of the shift reports is essential for an efficient transition from one shift to another. The incoming staff depend on the prepared shift reports; therefore, delays in the preparation of the reports disrupt the workflow and may eventually lead to delayed treatment and management of the patients. These were the major areas of waste identified from the experience and need to be addressed to improve the quality of service delivery in the hospital. The time wasted at the shift report processing is about 1 hour.
Reducing time wastage at the admission, transfer, and the discharge of the patients will be achieved by implementing electronic health record systems, which will make it easier for the service providers to trace the required patients’ information. Most of the delays result from the technicalities involved in acquiring the patients’ data and compiling of their bills. HER systems will facilitate the coordination and integration of the hospital data and thus enhance the management process. The other plan involves encouraging the hospital staffs to fill in their reports within the shift instead of doing it after their shift elapses. The strategy will reduce time wastage significantly and promote efficiency. By engaging with the personnel and preparing them to adopt the change, the proposed plan can be implemented within three months.
The major challenges in gaining support from the team and in the documentation of the value of this work to the team and patients may include lack of enough financial resources to facilitate the change (Hao & Yazdanifard, 2015). Additionally, the staff may not conceive the change as important because they may want to work within their status quo. Lastly, the other challenge may arise from delays or failure to get the appropriate vendors to supply the HER systems.
Plan to Communicate Challenges
Communication is important for effective change management. Therefore, using focus groups, the challenges associated with the wastes will be discussed. Focus groups create a conducive environment for brainstorming and developing a common goal that is supported by all the nursing staffs (Balfour et al., 2017). The approach will make it possible to communicate the importance of continuing to address the nurse work from a positive perspective since all people will be involved in the change development process (Li, Field, & Davis, 2017).
Lean Staffing Model
Lean staffing model aims at eliminating wastes and adding value to the organization’s operation process. The staffing model is relevant in this case because it would help in ensuring that only productive staffs are retained at the various stages of operation to minimize delays and time wastage (Rotter et al., 2018). The ultimate purpose of the staffing redesign is to improve the quality of service delivery and promote efficiency and quality care delivery to the patients.
Balfour, M. E., Tanner, K., Jurica, P. J., Llewellyn, D., Williamson, R. G., & Carson, C. A. (2017). Using lean to rapidly and sustainably transform a behavioral health crisis program: Impact on throughput and safety. The Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety, 43(6), 275-283.
Hao, M. J., & Yazdanifard, R. (2015). How effective leadership can facilitate change in organizations through improvement and innovation. Global Journal of Management And Business Research.
Li, G., Field, J. M., & Davis, M. M. (2017). Designing lean processes with improved service quality: An application in financial services. Quality Management Journal, 24(1), 6-19.
Rotter, T., Plishka, C., Lawal, A., Harrison, L., Sari, N., Goodridge, D., … & Willoughby, K. (2018). What is lean Management in Health Care? Development of an operational definition for a Cochrane systematic review. Evaluation & the Health Professions, 0163278718756992.
The purpose of this assignment is to consider factors that impact efficient staffing models and work practices within health care organizations. Select one of the two scenarios at the end of Chapter 5 in Leadership in Nursing Practice: Changing the Landscape of Health Care. In 500-750 words, address the questions in the scenario is specific detail. Additionally, comment on how lean staffing models could positively contribute to more efficient staffing and work practices.
Integrate 2-3 resources into your response.
Prepare this Staffing Models Scenario Paper Assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is required.
- Describe a scenario in which there was a conflict between nurses working in your current or previous work environment. What was the primary cause of the conflict? What conflict resolution strategies would you employ to manage this conflict and promote civility in the workplace and why?
- Compare and contrast servant leadership with another leadership style or theory such as transformational leadership. What are the primary characteristics of each? What appeals to you about them and what strengths and drawbacks do you see with each in terms of influencing organizational culture as a nurse leader? NUR-514: Organizational Leadership and Informatics Essay Assignment Discussions.
- Discuss organizational factors that can drive the change within a health care organization. Also, discuss the ethical, social, legal, economic, or political implication of the change within an organization and on the profession of nursing. Integrate a specific example of organizational change you have witnessed in your response.
- You have been selected to serve on a community outreach committee within your state’s nursing organization. The committee includes registered nurses of different specialties. At your first meeting, it becomes evident that not everyone is in agreement with a recent position statement about the role of spiritual care, with some members arguing they will no longer support the committee if the position statement is not revised or reversed. NUR-514: Organizational Leadership and Informatics Essay Assignment Discussions. As a nurse leader, how could you draw from change theory to address these concerns and encourage collaboration on the committee?
- Imagine you are working in an outpatient specialty office. Your nursing director has informed you that due to “accountable care” your office might be penalized by having too many diabetic patients that are above the hemoglobin A1C (HBA1C) goal of 8. The national benchmark is that only 20% of your population should be above 8 and your office shows 40%. NUR-514: Organizational Leadership and Informatics Essay Assignment Discussions. Your physicians have also been informed by their management of the same issue.
Develop a plan using enhanced communications with patients to reach the benchmark goal. What might you do if you had the resources to accomplish this? You should consider all the technology you might be able to use such as a patient portal, wireless home monitor, texting, and secure messaging for example. NUR-514: Organizational Leadership and Informatics Essay Assignment Discussions.
- What challenges do current reimbursement models pose for nurse leaders in their obligations to promote quality, cost effective patient What strategies can effective nurse leaders use to overcome those challenges? Discuss any specific examples you may have witnessed a leader implement in the practice environment in your response.
- Review the Graduate QSEN Competencies. Focusing on the areas of Quality Improvement (QI), Safety, and Informatics, summarize the essential knowledge, skills and attitudes that an advanced registered nurse should possess to competently promote the use of health care data and information to improve care in the clinical setting. NUR-514: Organizational Leadership and Informatics Essay Assignment Discussions. Discuss two specific ways information and technology can improve clinical practice, administration, education, or research in your response.
- Discuss a key event in the evolution of nursing informatics and the characteristics of nursing informatics as a specialty. In what ways do the roles of informatics nurses and nurse leaders intersect?
- What are the primary challenges related to interoperability and the exchange of health information in the practice environment and how might these impact patients’ access to the best care? NUR-514: Organizational Leadership and Informatics Essay Assignment Discussions. Discuss a particular challenge with clinical provide order entry (CPOE) in your response.
- Discuss the benefits and drawback of clinical decision support systems, including the challenges of avoiding alert fatigue. Considering your interactions with patients and systems in the clinical environment, what best practices related to human factors and user-centered design would you recommend to designers of such systems?
- Discuss an example of a personal health, mobile heath, or telehealth-related application that you think can improve patient care. What are some of the primary challenges with integrating data from a mobile device or application with data within an EHR? Do you think most patients are comfortable with sharing their personal data in the clinical environment? Supposing the sharing of such information is beneficial for their health, what can be done to help patients overcome their reticence?
- Review HIPAA, protected health information (PHI), and requirements for privacy and confidentiality in EHRs. Discuss one ethical and one legal issue related to the use of EHRs that directly impact advanced registered nursing practice. Discuss possible consequences for compromising patient data and measures you can implement in your own practice to protect patient privacy and confidentiality. NUR-514: Organizational Leadership and Informatics Essay Assignment Discussions.
- What quality standards or performance measures guide your role or specialty as an advanced registered nurse? Using these standards, discuss how informatics can be used to improve quality of care. NUR-514: Organizational Leadership and Informatics Essay Assignment Discussions. Make sure to discuss meaningful use and incorporate the topic materials, such as the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) and Information Governance websites in your response.
- There are several project management methodologies available to nurse leaders for supporting the implementation of quality and performance improvement initiatives in the practice environment. Two well-known ones are Lean and Six Sigma. Compare and contrast two project management methodologies you think are promising in the health care environment. Discuss their relative benefits and drawbacks and discuss why you think they can be successful for implementing quality improvement initiatives. NUR-514: Organizational Leadership and Informatics Essay Assignment Discussions.