HLT 306V Topic 1 DQ 2
How would you use collaboration to assist in compliance with a patient as difficult as Alma?
Patient Compliance and Patient Education
Healthcare providers frequently encounter non-compliant and difficult patients throughout their practice. An estimated 30 to 50% of patients exhibit some form of non-compliance (Mohiuddin, 2019). Non-compliance eventually delays the resolution of patient needs and leads to additional and costly treatments. Several factors undermine patient compliance including patient factors, physician factors, and healthcare system-related factors (Mohiuddin, 2019). Patient factors include religious beliefs, patient perception, fear, attitude, pride, and mechanical difficulties. Meanwhile, healthcare-related factors include stretched waiting times, transportation, lack of care coordination, and impersonal service. Collaboration can be an effective strategy to enhance compliance in frustrating patients such as Alma.
Collaboration among healthcare stakeholders is critical to enhancing patient adherence. For instance, collaboration among healthcare providers enhances efficiency in the healthcare system which reduces waiting time and enhances continuity of care thus enhancing patient compliance (Rae, 2021). Collaboration with patients creates a therapeutic rapport and enhances shared decision making which enhances patient adherence (Rae, 2021). In the case of Alma, collaboration with family members and other individuals close to her is elemental to understanding her religious and cultural background which could be undermining the formation of a therapeutic relationship. Patient collaboration results in the assumption of complimentary roles which modifies patient factors related to noncompliance such as attitudes, beliefs, fear, pride, and perceptions (Rae, 2021).
According to Falvo (2011), effective patient education is central to enhancing patient adherence as well as collaboration. In the case of Alma, comprehensive patient education including the logic behind the therapeutic intervention would enhance her compliance. Finally, patient collaboration empowers difficult patients, simplifies complex treatment regimens, improves patient experiences with the healthcare system, and strengthens family and social relationships ultimately enhancing collaboration.
Struggling to Meet Your Deadline?
Get your assignment on HLT 306V Topic 1 DQ 2 done on time by medical experts. Don’t wait – ORDER NOW!
Falvo, D. R. (2011). Effective patient education: A guide to increased adherence (4th ed.). Jones and Bartlett.
Mohiuddin, A. K. (2019). Patient Compliance: Fact or Fiction? Innovations in Pharmacy, 10(1), 3. https://doi.org/10.24926/iip.v10i1.1621
Rae, B. (2021). Obedience to collaboration: compliance, adherence and concordance. Journal of Prescribing Practice, 3(6), 235–240. https://doi.org/10.12968/jprp.2021.3.6.235
University Policy: All assignments are due before midnight Arizona time on the due dates indicated. Assignments posted after the indicated due dates will be subject to a deduction of 10% of the available points for each day late. No assignment can be accepted for grading after midnight on the final day of class. Technical issues are not valid excuses for late work unless the problem stems from THE UNIVERSITY servers.
- It is the student’s responsibility to ensure the assignment is a “final submit.”
- All assignments in this course will need to be handed in as only 1 (one) file. The system will pull the assignment last assignment posted to the drop box for grading. If you have multiple files, only the last one uploaded will be graded.
- Only assignments submitted to the drop box will be graded. No grading will be provided to students who opt to email professor assignment without submitting to drop box. Please ensure you have allowed yourself enough time prior to the midnight deadline to upload to the drop box as the time stamp from the upload is the time it was submitted.
- For the PowerPoint presentations, please ensure you are using a basic background as to the size of some of the designer backgrounds which then create problems with the upload to Halo. This assignment must be turned in as a PowerPoint and processed through LopesWrite. Any other form of submission will not be graded and student will receive zero credit.
- PowerPoint presentations MUST be submitted to LopesWrite. Links to presentations will not be graded as they are not able to be submitted for similarity assessments.
- As a student you have the ability to review LopesWrite prior to your final submission. Please reach out to tech services if you are unsure of this process.
- When the APA Checklist is required to be placed in submission per formatting guidelines of the APA Manual 7th edition, it is expected the appendix in the submission will significantly increase LopesWrite score.
- Word count according to rubric is only words in the body of the submission. It does not include cover page, running head, references any required appendices.
- All references in course are required to have a date and be within the past 5 years unless it is a primary sources such as the original theory written.
Grading of Assignment Submissions: At the university, Faculty is allowed a 7-day period for grading of assignments. If you have not received a grade in that time, please let me know in the event there was a problem with the grade upload to Halo.
Don’t wait until the last minute
Fill in your requirements and let our experts deliver your work asap.