I found it interesting that communication was identified as a leading root cause of sentinel events in the United States (Burgener, 2017). Change is a good reason for improving the quality and safety of health care services. We can do this by integrating effective communication strategies with patients, colleagues, and other healthcare providers. Resistance to change is expected. It is essential to be able to adapt and overcome. One of the ways to communicate a change in practice to nursing peers is during a morning huddle. Another way to communicate a change in practice to patients is during bedside reports (Mick, 2017). I think it is especially important with patients to discuss change more than once. A good method for taking with patients is using the AIDET method. Using this method could allow for more time to explain and educate about changes to procedures and practices.
The ability to face adverse situations, remain focused, and continue to be optimistic for the future are key characteristics in developing resilient nurses today (Kester & Wei, 2021). Nurses are confronted daily with challenges and difficult decisions, the constant exposure to these challenges may make it difficult to develop resilience characteristics. Nurse leaders need to educate nurses about self-care and techniques to build resilience so that they can have protective mechanisms to prevent burnout (Kester & Wei, 2021).
I found three strategies in my reading about building reliance that consistently emerged. One is ongoing educational programs and training to develop knowledgeable and competent nurses (Kester & Wei, 2021). Another way is through social support. Social support is important because we are all people that go through difficult things in our personal and professional lives. Supporting each other can foster growth, development, and resiliency (Kester & Wei, 2021). The last is meaningful recognition. One technique that helps with meaningful recognition is to turn “I’m sorry” in “thank you; for example, “I am sorry for running late” to “thank you for your patience, I appreciate you waiting.” Prioritizing the well-being of caregivers is necessary for patient safety, quality of care, and the patient experience (Kester & Wei, 2021).
Struggling to Meet Your Deadline?
Get your assignment on Week 3 Assignment: Healthcare Policy (graded) done on time by medical experts. Don’t wait – ORDER NOW!
Burgener, A. (2017). Enhancing Communication to Improve Patient Safety and to Increase Patient Satisfaction. The Health Care Manager, 36(3), 238-243. https://doi.org/10.1097/hcm.0000000000000165
Kester, K., & Wei, H. (2021). Building nurse resilience. Nursing Management. Retrieved 14 March 2021, from https://journals.lww.com/nursingmanagement/Fulltext/2018/06000/Building_nurse_resilience.10.aspxLinks to an external site..
Mick, J. (2017). Call to action. Nursing, 47(4), 36-43. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.nurse.0000513603.03034.5c
In this assignment, you will assess the impact of health legislation on nursing practice and communicate your analysis to your peers. GovTrack.us provides a list of federal health bills that are currently in process in Congressional Committees.
This assignment enables the student to meet the following course outcomes:
- CO 4: Integrates clinical nursing judgment using effective communication strategies with patients, colleagues, and other healthcare providers. (PO 4)
- CO 7: Integrates the professional role of leader, teacher, communicator, and manager of care to plan cost-effective, quality healthcare to consumers in structured and unstructured settings. (PO 7)
The assignment is worth 175 points.
Submit your completed assignment by Sunday of Week 3 by 11:59 p.m. MT.
- Please review the infographic as way to guide you in getting started with your assignment: Developing an Assignment with IntegrityLinks to an external site.
- View a short tutorial with tips for completing this assignment: Healthcare Policy Assignment TutorialLinks to an external site.
- Links to an external site.This assignment will be in the format of a PowerPoint presentation (Bullet points may be used).
- You are educating your peers through this presentation regarding a federal bill you believe may be of interest to nurses.
- Go to https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/subjects/health/6130Links to an external site.
- Choose a health-related federal bill of interest. Read through the bill and develop a summary in your own words. Include the bill number and name.
- Here is a link to our U.S. legislative process (bill to law) for review, if needed: https://www.congress.gov/legislative-processLinks to an external site.
- For those not familiar with the development of a PowerPoint slideshow, the following link to the Microsoft Office 365 TrainingLinks to an external site. may be helpful.
- Include the following information in your presentation
- Title slide (Your name, NR451, session, Healthcare Policy assignment)
- Bill name and number (indicate either H.B. or S.B.)
- Bill summary (in your own words)
- Address how this bill might impact professional nursing practice standards if passed? If not passed?
- How might the bill impact your own nursing practice?
- How might you communicate your concerns about or support for this bill based on nursing practice, standards, or patient outcomes?
- How might this bill impact your community?
- References slide to include the Bill source in APA format.
- No more than 12 slides
There is no required form or template for this assignment. Please use PowerPoint best practices throughout your presentation.
The following are best practices in preparing this presentation.
- Review directions and rubric thoroughly prior to beginning assignment.
- Watch the short video tutorials on tips for completing the assignment and on developing a PowerPoint. Incorporate graphics, clip art, or photographs to increase interest.
- Make slides easy to read with short bullet points and large font.
- Please see the grading criteria and rubrics on this page.
- Please use your browser’s File setting to save or print this page.
Scholarly Sources and Citations
- Cite all sources on the appropriate slides with (author, year) as well as on the Reference slide.
- Spell check for spelling and grammar errors prior to final submission.
Chamberlain College of Nursing values honesty and integrity. All students should be aware of the Academic Integrity policy and follow it in all discussions and assignments.
By submitting this assignment, I pledge on my honor that all content contained is my own original work except as quoted and cited appropriately. I have not received any unauthorized assistance on this assignment.
Week 3 Healthcare Policy Rubric
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeBill Identification and SummaryA bill (name and number) is identified and key points are summarized using own words.||30 ptsName and number of bill is clearly identified using assigned website. Key points of bill are clearly summarized using own words.26 ptsName and number of bill is mostly identified using assigned website. Key points of bill are clearly summarized using own words.24 ptsOnly part of the bill is identified and/or is missing one of the elements in the first column.11 ptsThree elements in column one are missing and/or are vague.0 ptsThree elements in column one are missing and/or are vague.||30 pts|
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeImpact of Bill on Nursing Practice StandardsAddresses possible impact of bill on nursing practice standards if bill is passed and if not passed.||30 ptsThoroughly addresses and describes detailed potential impact on nursing practice standards, if bill is passed and if not passed.26 ptsSatisfactorily identifies and describes possible impact on nursing practice standards, if bill is passed; and, if not passed.24 ptsBriefly, identifies and describes possible impact on nursing practice standards, if bill is passed; and, if not passed.11 ptsMinimal identification and descriptions of possible impact on nursing practice standards.0 ptsNo description of the possible impact on nursing practice standards.||30 pts|
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeImpact of Bill on Own Nursing PracticeAddresses possible impact on own nursing practice if bill is passes; if not passed.||30 ptsIdentifies and describes detailed potential impact of bill on own nursing practice, if bill is passed and, if not passed.26 ptsSatisfactorily identifies and describes possible impact on own nursing practice if bill is passed; and, if not passed.24 ptsBriefly identifies and describes possible impact on own nursing practice if bill is passed; and, if not passed.11 ptsMinimal identification and descriptions of possible impact on own nursing practice.0 ptsNo description of the possible impact on own nursing practice.||30 pts|
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeCommunication StrategiesAddress strategies you might use to communicate your concerns or support for the bill with legislators and peers.||30 ptsThoroughly addresses communication strategies to legislators and peers regarding concerns or support for the bill.26 ptsSatisfactorily addresses communication strategies to legislators and peers regarding concerns or support for the bill.24 ptsCommunication strategies are addressed but content is vague or missing one element from column one.11 ptsCommunication strategies are missing elements from column one0 ptsCommunication strategies are not addressed.||30 pts|
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeCommunity Impact of BillDiscuss at least 1 possible impact this bill might have on your community||35 ptsDetails of at least one potential community impact of bill are included.31 ptsSatisfactory description of one possible community impact included.28 ptsBrief description of one possible community impact included.13 ptsMinimal description of one possible community impact included.0 ptsNo discussion of possible community impact.||35 pts|
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeMechanics, Organization, and APA formatPowerPoint slides are clear, organized, and logical. References slide is included. Content is error free in grammar and spelling. Proper APA formatting used for citations and references slide.||20 ptsExcellent mechanics, organization, and formatting used with minimal errors and used best practices for PowerPoint.18 ptsGood mechanics, organization, and/or formatting used.16 ptsFair mechanics, organization, and/or formatting used.8 ptsPoor mechanics, organization, and/or formatting used.0 ptsVery poor mechanics, organization, and/or formatting used.||20 pts|
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeUse of Correct Government Website||0 pts0 points deductedUse of Correct Government Website0 pts17.5 points (10%) deductedIncorrect or unapproved use of a government website resulting in point deduction||0 pts|
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeLate Deduction||0 pts0 points deductedSubmitted on time0 ptsNot submitted on time – Points deducted1 day late=8.75 deduction; 2 day late =17.5 deduction; 3 day late=26.25 deduction; 4 day=35 deduction; 5 day=43.75 deduction; 6 day =52.5 deduction; 7 day =61.25 deduction; Score of 0 if more than 7 days late||0 pts|
|Total Points: 175|
Don’t wait until the last minute
Fill in your requirements and let our experts deliver your work asap.