HLT 306V Topic 3 DQ 2
Compare and contrast culture, ethnicity, and acculturation.
Culture entails a set of values, beliefs, social norms, practices and perspectives formed and perpetuated by a certain group, race, and social class. Ethnicity denote the act of identifying with or belonging to a certain racial or ethnic group because of common shared values. Acculturation occurs when one changes their culture and accepts a more dominant culture that impacts their activities, perspectives and even attitudes (Areba et al., 2021). The three aspects imply that one must use them for identity in a multicultural society, especially in healthcare and nursing, where providers are expected to demonstrate different aspects of care provision. The implication is that three concepts share certain similarities but are also different.
Culture, ethnicity and acculturation are components of identity implying that individuals in society derive their identity and self-concept based on these components. For instance, belonging to a subculture in a dominant culture implies that one seeks identity and a sense of belonging. Secondly, all these concepts are critical in classifying individuals into their original cultures and those that they have acquired. Further, the three share similarities in terms of aspects like value systems, practices, origin and norms (Kamakura et al., 2019). This implies that irrespective of one’s culture, ethnicity and acculturated identity, they all must demonstrate the associated values, norms and practices. These three also demonstrate a common heritage that people share.
On the flip side, the three are different. Firstly, culture and acculturation can be passed from one generation to another and serves as identification. However, one cannot change their ethnicity unless they intermarry to have a different racial composition or ethnicity. Further, culture and acculturation are founded on a set of morals values, and beliefs as well as norms (Parsonson & Alquicira, 2019). On its part, ethnicity is founded on a person’s racial identity and affinity. Acculturation results in change of culture in different aspects when one meets new people. However, culture and ethnicity remain constant and defining aspects of one’s personality.
Struggling to Meet Your Deadline?
Get your assignment on HLT 306V Topic 3 DQ 2 done on time by medical experts. Don’t wait – ORDER NOW!
Areba, E. M., Watts, A. W., Larson, N., Eisenberg, M. E., & Neumark-Sztainer, D. (2021).
Acculturation and ethnic group differences in well-being among Somali, Latino, and Hmong adolescents. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 91(1), 109. DOI: 10.1037/ort0000482
Kamakura, W. A., & Zubcevic-Basic, N. (2019). Race, Ethnicity, and Acculturation: How
Racially Matched Images Influence Subsequent Perceptions of Beauty. SSRN Electronic Journal. DOI:10.2139/ssrn.2380365
Parsonson, K. L., & Alquicira, L. M. (2019). International psychology ethics codes: Where is the
“culture” in acculturation. Ethical Human Psychology & Psychiatry, 20(2), 86-99. https://www.apa.org/pi/families/resources/newsletter/2019/11/vieques-hurricane-maria
University Policy: All assignments are due before midnight Arizona time on the due dates indicated. Assignments posted after the indicated due dates will be subject to a deduction of 10% of the available points for each day late. No assignment can be accepted for grading after midnight on the final day of class. Technical issues are not valid excuses for late work unless the problem stems from THE UNIVERSITY servers.
- It is the student’s responsibility to ensure the assignment is a “final submit.”
- All assignments in this course will need to be handed in as only 1 (one) file. The system will pull the assignment last assignment posted to the drop box for grading. If you have multiple files, only the last one uploaded will be graded.
- Only assignments submitted to the drop box will be graded. No grading will be provided to students who opt to email professor assignment without submitting to drop box. Please ensure you have allowed yourself enough time prior to the midnight deadline to upload to the drop box as the time stamp from the upload is the time it was submitted.
- For the PowerPoint presentations, please ensure you are using a basic background as to the size of some of the designer backgrounds which then create problems with the upload to Halo. This assignment must be turned in as a PowerPoint and processed through LopesWrite. Any other form of submission will not be graded and student will receive zero credit.
- PowerPoint presentations MUST be submitted to LopesWrite. Links to presentations will not be graded as they are not able to be submitted for similarity assessments.
- As a student you have the ability to review LopesWrite prior to your final submission. Please reach out to tech services if you are unsure of this process.
- When the APA Checklist is required to be placed in submission per formatting guidelines of the APA Manual 7th edition, it is expected the appendix in the submission will significantly increase LopesWrite score.
- Word count according to rubric is only words in the body of the submission. It does not include cover page, running head, references any required appendices.
- All references in course are required to have a date and be within the past 5 years unless it is a primary sources such as the original theory written.
Grading of Assignment Submissions: At the university, Faculty is allowed a 7-day period for grading of assignments. If you have not received a grade in that time, please let me know in the event there was a problem with the grade upload to Halo.
Don’t wait until the last minute
Fill in your requirements and let our experts deliver your work asap.